Fine Art Digital Printing Workshop with Richard Sexton | Thurs, Nov. 3 - Sun, Nov. 6, 2016
Fine Art Digital Printing Workshop with Richard Sexton
Join Leica Store Miami and photographer Richard Sexton for a unique fine art digital printing workshop in New Orleans, Louisiana. Printing is an important aspect of photography that is often forgotten in the age of digital. The fine art of printing has always been, and always will be, the culmination of the making a great photograph. Until an image has been successfully printed, the act of photography is less than totally complete. Some of the items covered in this workshop are:
- Capture: We will briefly touch on what it takes to make a good file in camera. We'll focus on imaging before the fact, rather than after.
- Pre and Post Production: Using Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop to optimize raw files, soft proof them and prep for printing.
- Paper: We will look at a broad cross section of fine art papers, including baryta papers, as well as smooth matte and textured matte papers so you can see and feel the differences.
- Printing: We'll print your color and black & white photos on a variety of papers. Each participant will go home with several fine art prints of different sizes with at least one 20x24.
Richard Sexton is a widely published and exhibited photographer, who is also a lifelong Leica photographer, beginning with a used M4 in the 1970s and continuing to the present day with the M Monochrom. Jonathan Traviesa from Richard Sexton Studio and Peter Dooling from Leica Store Miami will be on hand to provide assistance.
Thursday, November 3rd
- Meet & greet
- Introductory Lecture by Richard
- We will meet with a local curator of photography at a New Orleans museum to view and critique a current exhibit. Specific venue will be guided by the exhibit calendar and availability of curatorial staff to meet with us after hours for a private viewing.
- Group Dinner
- Optional Evening Shoot
- Morning Lightroom & Photoshop Session - color soft proofing, ink jet printer set-up and maintenance, and will culminate with making a print.
- Lunch Break
- Afternoon Print Session - roll color prints from files brought by attendees.
- Field Shooting Session - New Orleans is a wonderful city for photography and Richard will take us on a guided photo walk through some of the more colorful parts of the city.
Saturday, November 5th
- Morning Print Session - b/w conversion and soft proofing, as well as monochromatic capture. We will look at the difference between a color file converted to b/w and the same image captured in monochrome, so that attendees can see the relative difference. The morning session will culminate in making a b/w print.
- Lunch Break
- Afternoon Print Session - roll b&w prints from files brought by attendees.
- Optional Evening Shoot
Sunday, November 6th
- Final Print Session
Class Size: Limited to 8 attendees
What to Expect:
- Learn how to attain proper exposure to generate the best files for printing.
- Learn about printer settings and paper choices.
- Photo walk led by Richard and optional evening shoots.
- Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop processing sessions.
- Create and take home several gallery quality prints with at least one 20x24.
Who should attend this workshop?
This workshop is geared towards the photographer who wants to learn more about fine art digital printing and generate gallery quality prints of their own work.
Uptown/Garden District Hotels (Closest to Richard's Studio)
Hampton Inn New Orleans - St. Charles Ave./Garden District
The Pontchartrain Hotel
Prytania Park Hotel
Central Business District/French Quarter Hotels
Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette Hotel
Astor Crowne Plaza - New Orleans French Quarter
International House on Camp St.
We will mainly be working out of Richard Sexton's studio in Uptown New Orleans. Uber, Lyft, taxis and (depending on where you choose to stay) the St. Charles Street car are easily accessible but you are certainly welcome to rent a car if you choose.
Richard Sexton is a widely published and exhibited photographer, who is also a lifelong Leica photographer, beginning with a used M4 in the 1970s and continuing to the present day with the M Monochrom. His most recent project, Enigmatic Stream: Photographs of the Industrial Landscape of the Lower Mississippi River was shot with the M Monochrom. He is also a master digital printer utilizing a post-production workflow in Lightroom and Photoshop to optimize files for printing. He uses Imageprint RIP for archival monochromatic and color printing on 100% rag papers. For more information about Richard's work and career see the links below:
A bio can be found on Richard's web site here:
Enigmatic Stream, a current project shot entirely with the Leica Monochrom can be seen here:
A portfolio of work from Ireland, shot entirely with the Leica Monochrom can be seen here:
A portfolio of work shot on b/w film with a Leica M4 can be seen here:
Questions about the Workshop:
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 305-921-4433 or send us an email. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
We look forward to seeing you in New Orleans!
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
Enrollment is limited to 8 participants, and once you sign up we are counting on your attendance. If you need to withdraw from a workshop, this is our refund policy:
- Registration deadline is September 18, 2016. Withdraw on or before Sunday, September 18th and we will refund the workshop fee. We will need to be notified in writing (email is acceptable).
- Withdraw after Sunday, September 18th and we will keep your workshop fee, but you will have the opportunity to apply it toward a future workshop with Leica Store Miami.
We rely on your attendance to make important arrangements, so if for any reason you need to withdraw from a workshop, please notify us in writing (email is acceptable) at least 45 days before the start of your workshop.
In the event that a workshop must be canceled due to inadequate enrollment, all fees will be refunded in full or may be transferred to another workshop within 24 months. Leica Store Miami is not responsible for cancellations due to medical emergencies. We highly recommend purchasing travel Insurance. Leica Store Miami is not responsible for reimbursement of non-refundable airline tickets in the event of a workshop cancellation.
If for any reason you wish to transfer your workshop fee, please notify us by email. You must register and complete a new workshop within 24 months of the withdrawal. We reserve the right to accept or deny any transfer.
There are no exceptions to our Cancellation and Transfer Policy.