Fine Art Digital Printing Workshop with Richard Sexton | Thurs, Nov. 1 - Sun, Nov. 4, 2018
Fine Art Digital Printing Workshop with Richard Sexton
Join Leica Store Miami and photographer Richard Sexton for a unique fine art digital printing workshop in New Orleans, Louisiana. Printing is an important aspect of photography that is often forgotten in the age of digital. The fine art of printing has always been, and always will be, the culmination of the making a great photograph. Until an image has been successfully printed, the act of photography is less than totally complete. Some of the items covered in this workshop are:
- Capture: We will briefly touch on what it takes to make a good file in camera. We'll focus on imaging before the fact, rather than after.
- Pre and Post Production: Using Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop to optimize raw files, soft proof them and prep for printing.
- Paper: We will look at a broad cross section of fine art papers, including baryta papers, as well as smooth matte and textured matte papers so you can see and feel the differences.
- Printing: We'll print your color and black & white photos on a variety of papers. Each participant will go home with several fine art prints of different sizes up to 20"x24".
Richard Sexton is a widely published and exhibited photographer, who is also a lifelong Leica photographer, beginning with a used M4 in the 1970s and continuing to the present day with the M Monochrom. Jonathan Traviesa from Richard Sexton Studio and Kirsten Vignes from Leica Store Miami will be on hand to provide assistance.
Thursday, November 1st
- We will meet at A Gallery for Fine Photography to kick off the workshop. We'll get to know each other, go over the workshop itinerary, look at prints, drink wine and discuss photography with A Gallery's curator.
- Group Dinner
- Morning Lightroom & Photoshop Session - color soft proofing, ink jet printer set-up and maintenance, and will culminate with making a print.
- Lunch Break
- Afternoon Print Session - roll color prints from files brought by attendees.
- Field Shooting Session - New Orleans is a wonderful city for photography and Richard will take us on a guided photo walk through some of the more colorful parts of the city.
Saturday, November 3rd
- Morning Print Session - b/w conversion and soft proofing, as well as monochromatic capture. We will look at the difference between a color file converted to b/w and the same image captured in monochrome, so that attendees can see the relative difference. The morning session will culminate in making a b/w print.
- Lunch Break
- Afternoon Print Session - roll b&w prints from files brought by attendees.
- Optional Evening Shoot
Sunday, November 4th
- Final Review and Q&A Session
Class Size: Limited to 8 attendees
What to Expect:
- Learn how to attain proper exposure to generate the best files for printing.
- Learn about printer settings and paper choices.
- Photo walk led by Richard and optional evening shoots.
- Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop processing sessions.
- Create and take home several gallery quality prints up to 20"x24".
Who should attend this workshop?Transportation
This workshop is geared towards the photographer who wants to learn more about fine art digital printing and generate gallery quality prints of their own work.
We will mainly be working out of Richard Sexton's studio in near St. Claude Avenue in New Orleans. Uber, Lyft, or taxis are easily accessible but you are certainly welcome to rent a car if you choose.
Richard’s new studio is located at 1541 Music St. (on the corner of Music St. and N. Claiborne Ave) in the St. Claude neighborhood. If you haven’t booked a hotel yet, we would recommend that you stay at near Frenchmen St. in the Marigny neighborhood. It’s a lively area with a lot of restaurants, music venues, bars and it’s also a great place for street photography.
Here are some hotel and b&b recommendations should you need them:
http://www.royalfrenchmenhotel.com/ https://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/ http://www.maisondubois.net/ http://www.hoteldelamonnaie.com/ http://www.lanauxmansion.com/
Richard Sexton is a widely published and exhibited photographer, who is also a lifelong Leica photographer, beginning with a used M4 in the 1970s and continuing to the present day with the M Monochrom. His most recent project, Enigmatic Stream: Photographs of the Industrial Landscape of the Lower Mississippi River was shot with the M Monochrom. He is also a master digital printer utilizing a post-production workflow in Lightroom and Photoshop to optimize files for printing. He uses Imageprint RIP for archival monochromatic and color printing on 100% rag papers. For more information about Richard's work and career see the links below:
A bio can be found on Richard's web site here:
Enigmatic Stream, a current project shot entirely with the Leica Monochrom can be seen here:
A portfolio of work from Ireland, shot entirely with the Leica Monochrom can be seen here:
A portfolio of work shot on b/w film with a Leica M4 can be seen here:
Questions about the Workshop:
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 305-921-4433 or send us an email. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
We look forward to seeing you in New Orleans!
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
Enrollment is limited to 8 participants, and once you sign up, we are counting on your attendance. If you need to withdraw from this workshop, please notify us in writing (email is acceptable) as soon as possible. This is our refund policy:
If you cancel and we find someone to fill your seat, we will refund you the full amount you have paid towards the tuition, minus a $250 service charge. If you cancel and we cannot find someone to fill your seat, then you will be refunded according to the following schedule:
At least 60 days before the start of the workshop: Full refund minus $250 service fee.
Between 59 and 45 days before the start of the workshop: 75% refund
Between 44 and 30 days before the start of the workshop: 50% refund
Less than 30 days from the start of the workshop: No refund
Leica Store Miami reserves the right to cancel a reservation if full payment has not been received by 60 days prior to the start of the workshop.
In the event that this workshop must be canceled due to inadequate enrollment, all fees and deposits will be refunded in full or may be transferred to another workshop within 24 months.
Leica Store Miami is not responsible for cancellations due to medical or personal emergencies so we highly recommend that you purchase travel Insurance. Companies like Travelex and Allianz Global Assistance are reputable but you can choose any vendor you like. Just make sure that they have an A+ rating from the BBB. Travel insurance generally costs 5-7% of your total trip cost. Leica Store Miami is not responsible for reimbursement of non-refundable airline tickets in the event of a workshop cancellation.
If for any reason you wish to transfer your deposit, please notify us by email. You must register and complete a new workshop within 24 months of the withdrawal. We reserve the right to accept or deny any transfer.
There are no exceptions to our Cancellation and Transfer Policy.