New Orleans Monochrom Workshop with Richard Sexton | Thurs, Mar. 16 - Sun, Mar. 19, 2017
New Orleans Monochrom Workshop with Richard Sexton: From Capture to Print
Join Leica Store Miami, The Leica Akademie and fine art photographer Richard Sexton for a unique Leica Monochrom workshop in New Orleans, Louisiana. If you have always admired the tradition of black and white photography and the many great Leica photographers who are associated with that tradition, such as Cartier-Bresson, Alexander Rodchenko, Robert Frank, and Garry Winogrand, then this is a workshop designed to help you take your black/white photography to a higher level and to ensure you will get the most out of the Leica Monochrom.
New Orleans provides an extraordinary setting in which to realize these goals—grand 19th century architecture, historic cemeteries filled with elaborate, above-ground tombs, the wildness of Bourbon Street, the nightlife of Frenchmen Street, jazz funerals, and more.
As a digital camera devoted solely to black and white capture, the Leica Monochrom produces files with an analog character and subject rendering that cannot be replicated by any color digital camera. It is a specialized photographic instrument that requires a unique approach when it comes to:
- Capture: Learn a unique way of seeing the world in black and white employing previsualization and a commitment to black and white imaging before the fact, rather than after.
- Color Filters: Learn how to use color filters to transpose color values to shades of grey which can improve your images at the time of capture.
- Post Production: Using Adobe Lightroom to optimize the grayscale raw file.
- Printing: Monochromatic printing is more subjective, more malleable, and more interpretive than color printing.
Richard Sexton is a widely published and exhibited photographer, who is also a lifelong Leica photographer, beginning with a used M4 in the 1970s and continuing to the present day with the M Monochrom. Along with Richard, Peter Dooling from Leica Store Miami and Tom Smith from Leica Akademie USA will be on hand to give assistance and advice, as well as provide loaner Leica cameras and lenses. We’ll share our favorite tips and tricks to getting the most out of this exceptional camera.
This workshop is geared towards current Leica M Monochrom and Monochrom (Typ 246) owners or photographers who wish to try one of Leica's Monochrom cameras.
Thursday, March 16th
- Meet & Greet
- Introductory Lecture by Richard
- Afternoon Shoot
- Wine Reception at A1 Gallery on Chartres Street
- Group Dinner
- Optional Evening Shoot - Richard will lead a walking tour in the French Quarter
- Morning Location Shoot
- Afternoon Lightroom Session
- Evening Shoot - Downtown Irish Club Parade (St. Patrick's Day)
Saturday, March 18th
- Group 1 Printing Session at Richard Sexton's studio in Uptown New Orleans
- Lunch at Martin's Wine Cellar
- Group 2 Printing Session at Richard's Studio
- Optional Evening Shoot
Sunday, March 19th
- Morning Shoot
Class Size: Limited to 10 attendees
What to Expect:
- Learn how to attain proper exposure with the M Monochrom.
- Learn how to use color filters.
- Learn how to see in black and white and what to look for.
- Exclusive location shoot.
- Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop processing sessions.
- Create and take home one or more gallery quality prints.
Who should attend this Workshop?
This workshop is geared towards current Leica M Monochrom and Monochrom (Typ 246) owners or photographers who wish to try the Monochrom (Typ 246). Loaner Monochrom cameras and several lenses will be available to try during the workshop courtesy of the Leica Akademie.
You can rent a car if you wish, but the city can be easily traversed by cab, Uber or the streetcar lines.
Richard Sexton is a widely published and exhibited photographer, who is also a lifelong Leica photographer, beginning with a used M4 in the 1970s and continuing to the present day with the M Monochrom. His most recent project, Enigmatic Stream: Photographs of the Industrial Landscape of the Lower Mississippi River was shot with the M Monochrom. He is also a master digital printer utilizing a post-production workflow in Lightroom and Photoshop to optimize files for printing. He uses Imageprint RIP for archival monochromatic printing on 100% rag papers. For more information about Richard's work and career see the links below:
A bio can be found on Richard's web site here:
Enigmatic Stream, a current project shot entirely with the Monochrom can be seen here:
A portfolio of work from Ireland, shot entirely with the Monochrom can be seen here:
A portfolio of work shot on b/w film with a Leica M4 can be seen here:
Questions about the Workshop:
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 305-921-4433 or send us an email. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
We look forward to seeing you in New Orleans!
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
Enrollment is limited to 10 participants, and once you sign up we are counting on your attendance. If you need to withdraw from a workshop, this is our refund policy:
- Registration deadline is January 30, 2017. Withdraw on or before Monday, January 30th and we will refund the workshop fee. We will need to be notified in writing (email is acceptable).
- Withdraw after Monday, January 27th and we will keep your workshop fee, but you will have the opportunity to apply it toward a future workshop with Leica Store Miami.
We rely on your attendance to make important arrangements, so if for any reason you need to withdraw from a workshop, please notify us in writing (email is acceptable) at least 45 days before the start of your workshop.
In the event that a workshop must be canceled due to inadequate enrollment, all fees will be refunded in full or may be transferred to another workshop within 24 months. Leica Store Miami is not responsible for cancellations due to medical emergencies. We highly recommend purchasing travel Insurance. Leica Store Miami is not responsible for reimbursement of non-refundable airline tickets in the event of a workshop cancellation.
If for any reason you wish to transfer your workshop fee, please notify us by email. You must register and complete a new workshop within 24 months of the withdrawal. We reserve the right to accept or deny any transfer.
There are no exceptions to our Cancellation and Transfer Policy.