Sound Devices MixPre-3 Portable Audio Recorder/Mixer w/ USB Audio Interface
Anytime, Anywhere Audio
The groundbreaking new MixPre-3 is a lightweight, high-resolution audio recorder with integrated USB audio streaming that offers world-class sound quality combined with extreme durability – perfect for musicians, sound designers, podcasters, videographers, YouTubers and field recordists.
Sublime Audio Quality
The MixPre-3 features Sound Devices' new Kashmir™ microphone preamps. These high-performance, ultra-low-noise, discrete, Class-A mic preamps were hand-crafted by Sound Devices. The Kashmir mic preamps feature a -130dBV noise floor, analog limiters, and new 32-bit A-to-D converters to ensure the highest quality audio recordings that far surpass those of other recorders using simple off-the-shelf IC-based mic preamps.
Powerful USB and Recording
The versatile MixPre-3 makes an excellent USB audio interface, offering the unique ability to record audio to an SD card while simultaneously streaming multiple channels of audio via USB. Handy for interviews, podcasts, or simply as a backup recorder to your computer, the MixPre can be used for Skype or Facetime interviews, and to record audio for podcasts or video blogs.
Pocket-Size, Unintimidating Design
The small stature and design of the MixPre-3 will fit any production environment. It features a responsive capacitive touch screen for incredibly simple and intuitive operation, and a bright, IPS technology, sunlight-readable color LCD for the ultimate in convenient navigation.
Like all Sound Devices products, the MixPre-3 is extremely durable. Constructed with a die-cast aluminum chassis, it is both lightweight and incredibly robust. The MixPre-3 is super-compact, so much so that it can fit in your pocket – perfect for jobs on the run.
The MixPre-3 bridges the gap between sound engineers, musicians and YouTubers with user-friendly navigation featuring Basic and Advanced modes. Designed to allow a user to start recording right out of the box, Basic mode takes the guesswork out of audio recording and is intended for stereo recording applications, such as interviews, video blogs, music or podcasts.
The Advanced mode offers more experienced audio users access to multi-channel recording and advanced settings such as metering, routing, timecode, mic pre gain, stereo and Mid/Side channel linking, headphone presets and more.
What’s more, the MixPre includes integrated Bluetooth Smart for easy connection, control and metering via iOS devices.
Advanced Mixing Capabilities
The MixPre-3 is a full-featured mixer that offers offers ergonomic gain control knobs for fast and accurate mixing. Other key features include pan and soloing plus easy-to-see ring LED metering per channel.
The MixPre-3 also includes a 3.5mm jack for headphone monitoring with user-programmable presets from our custom-designed powerful, wide-bandwidth headphone amp.
A Videographer’s Dream
As an added benefit to DSLR users, the MixPre-3 has a retractable ¼-20 mounting capacity making it a perfect pairing for a wide variety of cameras. This design allows for solid, low-profile tripod/camera mounting. Because the male and female ¼-20 threads are captive, they cannot be lost and are always available.
Capable cameras can feed Timecode to the device over the MixPre’s HDMI input, which provides perfect synchronization of sound and video. Timecode can also be fed into the MixPre’s 3.5mm input from an external TC generator. The MixPre-3’s HDMI input can also receive "record triggers" from popular cameras, which automatically starts and stops the MixPre’s recording via the camera’s record button.
Flexible Powering Options
For the ultimate in portability and convenience, the MixPre-3 has multiple powering options. It can be powered from AA batteries in a convenient detachable sled of either four or eight cells. Also available is a sled that offers powering from up to two hot-swappable Sony L-Mount Li-Ion batteries. The Li-lon batteries offer the ultimate in battery life.
Additionally, the entire recorder can also be powered from a laptop’s USB-C or USB-A connectors offering convenient connection and powering with just one cable. For applications where AC is available, Sound Devices offers an optional AC adapter as well.
10 Hz to 44 kHz ± 0.5dB @ 96 kHz sample rate
THD + Noise
0.05% max @1KHz
ADC Dynamic Range
Equivalent Input Noise
-130 dBV (A)
- Mic/Line: XLR; active-balanced; impedance 4Kohm
- Aux/Mic In: 3.5mm jack; 2ch line unbalanced, input impedance 100Kohm
- Mic plug-in power: 3V, input impedance 3k
- USB audio: 2ch
Maximum Input Level
- XLR Mic: 14 dBu
- XLR Line: 40 dBu
Low Cut Filters 80 to 240 Hz adjustable; 18 dB/oct Microphone Powering 48 V Phantom: 10mA max per channel Limiters First stage: Analog, All other: Digital A-to-D Conversion 32 bit Stereo Out
- 2ch unbalanced stereo 3.5 mm for use with > 6k ohm inputs
- Max Stereo Out Level: '+7.8dBu 100Kohm load
- Headphones Out: 3.5 mm Stereo
- Audio Interface (USB-C): 5-in/2-out; 44.1 to 96 kHz; 16/24-bit; Class-compliant USB 2.0 high speed or ASIO (supplied)
- Mass Storage (USB-C): USB 2.0 high speed
- Keyboard (USB-A): Text entry and control
Maximum Record Tracks 8 Tracks: Stereo mix + 6 ISOs Sampling Frequency
- 44.1 kHz
- 48 kHz
- 96 kHz
Bit Depth 16, 24 Recording Storage
- Type: SD, SDXC, SDHC Card
- Max Storage Size: 512 GB (SDXC)
- Card format: FAT32 (32GB or less) or exFAT (>32GB)
File Type WAV (Broadcast Wave File Format) with embedded timecode stamp and metadata Timecode
- Modes Supported: Time of Day; LTC via Aux In 1/2; HDMI TC In
- Frame Rates: Auto-detects the following 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97nd, 29.97dF, 30
- HDMI Time Code Input: From cameras that output timecode over HDMI
- Bluetooth Smart: Wireless control using Wingman app
- HDMI: Auto-record start/stop trigger from cameras that output record flag over HDMI
- Timecode: Auto-record start/stop trigger via Aux In timecode
Touch Screen 320x240, color, sunlight-viewable IPS LCD Power
- AA Batteries: 4x AA sled (included); 8x AA sled (optional accessory). NiMH recommended
- From computer: Bus-powered via USB-C port; use MX-USBY cable (included), connects one USB-C to two USB-A ports
- AC Adapter: MX-Charge (not included) Power supply wall adapter w/ USB-C connector; 15W; has 4 adapter plugs for US, UK, AU & Europe
- L-Mount: Optional sled for 2x (hot-swappable) Sony L-type Li-ion batteries
- Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity; (non-condensing)
- Storage: -40°C to 85°C
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 144 mm x 110 mm x 36 mm (H x W x D); 5.68” x 4.35” x 1.40”
- Weight: .48 kg; 16.8 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)